PrayA Day of Prayer
The International Day of Prayer and Action for Human Habitat
This event, observed on the third Sunday in September, is a time when the entire Habitat for Humanity community is urged to come together in prayer for those in need of shelter.
Through prayer, Habitat for Humanity continues to make a dramatic difference in the lives of people around the world. The miracle of prayer allows the hurdles of funding and building homes to be overcome and families and communities to grow in the shelter of God’s grace.
Offering ourselves as instruments of service
The Day of Prayer began in 1983 to make simple decent housing a matter of conscience. The intent was to place in the hearts, minds and souls of people everywhere the idea that poverty housing is unacceptable. The New Testament passage from 1 John 3:17 teaches that we must respond to those in need.
On this day, we invite churches and faith groups to:
- Adopt housing as an ongoing ministry emphasis.
- Shape a worship service around God’s call to serve one another.
- Use Habitat for Humanity Day of Prayer materials to support your activities.
- Offer prayers for those in need of shelter.
- Pray that people will respond as God calls them.
We have an array of resources available for organizations that want to participate in this special day:
- Bulletin inserts
- Responsive prayer litanies
- Fact sheets
- Collection banks for Sunday school classes or fellowship time
- Fun Collection Calendar for Sunday school classes or youth groups